Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day 125/365


     I've spent most of today covering the vintage and custom motor show that takes place on the street right outside one of the newsrooms I work out of. I put up a gallery here on MLive, and wrote my own blurb about the very beginning of the festival with a few other photos here as well. There were a lot of awesome cars, and a lot of fun people. Even with all of the cool cars I got to take pictures of today, I think this picture posted for today's entry was my favorite. This little boy stood looking at this Corvette for a solid fifteen minutes. I think I got such a kick out of it because his facial expression reminded me of how awestruck my brother and I would be when we'd go to the '50s diner down the street from our house with our dad on cruise-in nights as kids. We'd walk through the parking lot looking at all of the shiny cars with their hoods propped up in all of their chrome-covered glory, and our dad, (being the walking encyclopedia of almost any topic known to man that he was), would tell us about each car. He'd tell us about where they were made and why they weren't made like that anymore, but my favorite part that he'd tell us about would be how he reacted to seeing them as a kid in their heydays. Whether it was a car that his parents or another relative owned, a neighbor down the street, or a random stranger's driving down the road, my dad could tell you exactly where and when he first saw almost any of those cars, and why he thought they were so great. As I walked up and down through the street fair today, I thought of those nights with our dad every time I saw a '68 Mustang or a '66 Implala, or the dozens of other vintage cars lining the road. He would've loved today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment